The Society of Finnish Composers awards travel grants to composers of art music. The next application period is from 2 to 31 Jan 2024 (for trips taken on or after 1 Sep 2023).
These travel grants are intended for composers who are Finnish or permanently resident in Finland. Professional composers of art music who are not members of the Society of Finnish Composers may also apply for the grants.
Submit your application on this online form.
The travel grants are awarded
- on a discretionary basis
- as a loss guarantee
- to an amount of EUR 50–950 per year per composer (the maximum is EUR 950 per year if you have made more than one trip, or EUR 500 if you have only made one trip)
- to cover no more than 80% of the total costs of travel
Travel grants must be applied for after the fact, i.e. for trips taken after the previous application period. You may apply for a grant for more than one trip on the same application, but you need to itemise the costs for each trip separately.
Which trips are eligible?
Travel grants are principally awarded for trips related to the world premieres and other significant performances of a composer’s own works. A grant may also be awarded on a discretionary basis to other trips with a specific and concrete professional motivation (thus, travel to a residency or “for inspiration” generally does not count).
Please note that in the case of a world premiere given by a professional orchestra or established festival, the commissioning party is liable for the composer’s travel costs.
Which costs are eligible?
1) Travel costs (applicants are encouraged to use zero-emission transport whenever possible):
- rail tickets in Eko/standard class
- bus tickets
- airline tickets in economy class (including CO2 compensation*)
- local transport tickets
- subject to discretion, compensation for use of your own car equivalent to the price of a standard-class rail ticket or other public transport
* You must present a receipt for CO2 compensation paid, e.g.:
2) Hotel and other accommodation costs
Submit your application using the online form. The following information is required:
- your contact details
- description of the trip(s) (time, destination, reason, professional activities during the trip)
- itemisation of the costs of the trip(s)
- receipts for the costs of the trip(s) (one PDF document per trip)
Discretionary grants are awarded by the Board of Directors of the Society on proposal from a committee appointed for that purpose. Applicants are informed of the decisions in person.
Travel grants are awarded out of funds accrued from the collective copyright royalties paid by Kopiosto to the Society.
Society of Finnish Composers, office, tel. +358 9 445 589, email@example.com