Teosto supports composers, lyricists, arrangers and music publishers in the difficult circumstances resulting from the coronavirus pandemic with a new coronavirus financial support grant. The maximum sum of the funding is EUR 1 million, and the application process is open from 19 October to 6 November 2020.
The coronavirus financial support paid from the Teosto Fund is intended to enable continuation of artistic work (composing, writing lyrics, arranging) or music publishing activities. The financial support compensates for the lost royalty income from Teosto in 2020.
Who can apply for a grant?
All of Teosto’s creator and publisher members whose works have been performed in 2017–2019 in concerts and events as well as on commercial radio and TV channels and for whom Teosto has paid a total of at least EUR 1,500 of royalty distributions for these performances can apply for the financial support.
The amount of financial support depends on the amount of the aforementioned royalty payments. The minimum amount is EUR 300 and the maximum amount is EUR 10,000. You don’t need to report your Teosto royalties. They will be checked automatically. Having received financial support form other sources will not affect the possibility of receiving Teosto’s coronavirus financial support.
The heirs or shareholders of a music creator cannot apply for coronavirus financial support for creators as the support is meant for the creators’ artistic work (composing, writing lyrics, arranging). Heirs or shareholders who publish music and are a Teosto publisher member can apply for coronavirus financial support for music publishers.
How to apply
The financial support can be applied for through the Klaavi system at klaavi.fi To apply for support, you need Teosto’s customer number, which can be found when you log in at Teosto’s online service with your user ID.
In the application system, the financial support is applied for from the funds of Teosto’s member organisations, but the applicant does not have to be a member of the Finnish Music Creators’ Association, the Finnish Music Publishers Association or the Society of Finnish Composers. The applicant only has to be a Teosto member.
The financial support is applied for as a person (music creator) or company (music publisher):
- A music author can apply for financial support from the Finnish Music Creators’ Association (Music Creators’ Fund) or the Sibelius Fund of the Society of Finnish Composers. The criteria for receiving financial support are the same for both funds.
- Music publishers shall apply for financial support from the fund of the Finnish Music Publishers Association. The criteria for receiving financial support are the same as for the authors’ support funds.
- A publishing company that is owned by a Teosto creator member and is a Teosto publisher member can apply for coronavirus financial support for music publishers. The applications of the creator member and the publishing company are processed and decided on separately. · Teosto creator members who use the so-called company model can apply for the financial support for music authors.
Application processing and the payment of financial support
Eligible for coronavirus financial support are applicants who are Teosto members and whose royalty distributions exceed the required limit. The applications are dealt with and the decisions on financial support are made by a committee appointed by Teosto’s Board of Directors, whose members represent composers, lyricists, arrangers and music publishers.
We will process all coronavirus financial support applications in November 2020. The granted financial support will be paid in December 2020. We will inform each applicant of our decision personally by e-mail.
- Klaavi grant application system: klaavi.fi
- Grant application counselling: email@example.com; tel. +358 9 6810 1112 (Mon-Fri 9-20, Sat 10-16)