The International Horn Society Composition Contest 2022
The International Horn Society
Prizes: $1250 for each division
The deadline for submissions: December 1, 2022
Featured Division Instrumentation
- Compositions for solo horn and keyboard instrument. Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.
Virtuoso Division Instrumentation
- Compositions for Solo Horn (alone/unaccompanied)
- Compositions for Solo Horn with Vocal Ensemble
- Compositions for Horn Ensemble (two or more players, all horns)
- Horn with chamber ensemble of three or more players (one horn part only). The chamber ensemble may include any combination of electronic instruments, acoustic instruments and/or voices. Electronic instruments may be live or pre-recorded. Acoustic instruments may include Wagner Tuben.
- Solo Horn featured with large ensemble. The large ensemble may include any group of electronic, acoustic instruments and/or voices. Electronic instruments may be live or pre-recorded. Acoustic instruments may include Wagner Tuben.
Compositions in this division are works of moderate difficulty.
The horn part must be playable by the entire spectrum of hornists within the International Horn Society: students, amateurs, and professionals. It should have musical content with integrity to honor professional hornists, yet within the pitch and technical range of the panorama of student and amateur players.
Compositions in this division have no difficulty limitation.
For more information: www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/composition-projects/composition-contest