Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival “Artinno Award”. International Chamber Opera Composition Competition 2021
Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival. Hangzhou Xihu District Artinno Town
The International Chamber Opera Composition jointly held by Competition Zhejiang Conservatory of Music’s Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival and Artinno Town in Xuhui District of Hangzhou city, aims to provide a professional platform for Chinese original chamber operas’ composition and performances in order to promote the development and prosperity of Chinese opera art, cultivate and inspire young opera creative talents, promote the exploration and practice of Chinese original operas.
1. The competition is open to composers under 40 years old (born after Jan.1st.1981.) There is no restriction for composers’ nationality, whether he or she is a student or not. Only one work per entrant will be accepted.
2. Entries must be original works (no limit for libretto’s language) composed by the entrant after 2018 and must have not been previously published, awarded or performed.
3. Instrumentation: for 6 -8 instruments & 2 – 4 singers.
Permitted set of instrumentation/voice type: flute, oboe, clarinet, piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass/soprano, mezzo soprano, tenor, baritone, bass.
4. Duration of the work should be approximately 20 minutes long.
5. No composer’s name or any other identifying marks may appear on the submitted score.
III. Submission Materials
1. A scanned copy of ID card or passport
2. Full, parts and piano rehearsing score in PDF
3. A brief introduction of the work (less than 200 words)
4. Biography (Chinese or English)
IV. Application Deadline
All submissions must including the PDF full score, parts, piano rehearsing score and the other materials attached to the email send to email@example.com before July.1st.2021.
V. Competition and Judging Procedure
1. The competition consists of two stages: preliminary and final.
2. Preliminary: the jury will select four winning works.
3. Final: the selected four finalists’ works will be premiered in the final concert of Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival “Artinno Town Award” International Chamber Opera Composition Competition on Oct.20th, 2021, and the jury will decide the final rank based on the performances.
1st Prize: 80000 RMB (pre-taxed)
2nd Prize: 50000 RMB (pre-taxed)
3rd Prize (two winners): 30000 RMB (pre-taxed)
5. The sponsor of the organization will provide the accommodation during the 5 days of Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival and the pass to all the events in the festival(The travel expenses will not be covered).
VI. Other provisions
1. The winners will reserve the copyright of their works. The author must have undisputed copyright. Any work that is deemed to be plagiarism or copyright disputes, shall be disqualified
from participating in the election. If the author’s work is suspected of infringement and losses are caused, all legal liabilities shall be borne by the author.
2. The winners must grant the following rights to the competition organizer for three years since October 20.2021:
A. The organizer reserves the right to compile the scores of the winning works, record them in audio and /or audiovisual form and the right to the publication and distribution of the above-mentioned in print or in the audio and /or audiovisual form with no extra fee or royalties.
B. The organizer reserves the right to the premiere and subsequent performances of the winning works and their publishing priority. No public performance is allowed prior to the performance by the organizer without the consent of the organizer.
3. All the winning works must be marked as “one of the winning entries of the 2021 Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival – Artinno Award International Chamber Opera Composition Competition” on the score’s cover or in the concert program list whenever and wherever they are given a performance.
4. The interpretation of these rules shall fall within the exclusive competence of the organizing committee.
Presenter: Zhejiang Conservatory of Music
Organizers: Shanghai Opera House, Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival, Xihu District Artinno Town, Art Department of Zhejiang Conservatory of Music, Zhejiang Literature and Art Research and Creation Center
Supporting Project: Construction and Research of Chinese Opera Discipline System Group
Hangzhou Contemporary Music Festival
Hangzhou Xihu District Artinno Town