2020 International Horn Society Composition Contest
International Horn Society
Prizes: $1250 for Each Division
1. The Featured Composition Division:
Compositions in this division are works of moderate difficulty. “In the featured DIVISION, the horn part should be playable by the entire spectrum of Hornists within the International Horn Society: Students, Amateurs, and Professionals. It should have musical content that would have the integrity to honor the professional hornists—yet within the pitch and technical range of the panorama of student and amateur players.
- Compositions for Horn Ensemble (two or more players, all horns)
2. The Virtuoso Composition Division:
Compositions in this division have no difficulty limitation and are from one of the following instrumentation categories.
- Solo Horn featured with large ensemble. The large ensemble may include any group of electronic, acoustic instruments and/or voices.
- Horn with chamber ensemble of three or more performers (one horn part only). The chamber ensemble may include any combination of electronic instruments, acoustic instruments and/or voices.
- Compositions for solo horn and keyboard instrument. Keyboard instruments may include piano, harpsichord, organ, electronic keyboard, or mallet percussion.
- Compositions for Solo Horn (alone/unaccompanied)
- Compositions for Solo Horn with Vocal Ensemble
For more information, rules, and electronic submission